Sole Representative Visa or Representative of an Overseas Business Visa is a complex immigration route set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that allows senior employees and international employees (from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland) to set up either a UK branch or wholly-owned subsidiary. This visa also permits employees of the news agency, overseas newspaper, or broadcasting organisation posted to the UK on a long-term assignment. However, this immigration route has high visa refusal which necessitates prospective sole reps to go through Sole Representative Visa Guidance carefully.
A prospective representative of an overseas business must:
- be from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
- have enough money without resorting to public funds.
- meet the English requirements.
A representative of an Overseas Business must meet the following requirements:
- The prospective sole rep must demonstrate extensive industry-related experience and knowledge.
- The applicant must be recruited or employed outside the UK by an overseas company whose principal place of business is outside the UK. The overseas company must have no subsidiary, branch, or other representatives in the UK.
- The applicant must hold a senior position with full authority to take operational decisions on the company’s behalf.
- The prospective sole rep must provide supportive documents to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK.
- The applicant must not accept any kind of employment in the UK except for the overseas company.
- The applicant must provide supportive documents to demonstrate financial ability and meet maintenance requirements.
- The applicant must meet the English Language requirement by passing an approved English Language Test with CEFR level A1 or having an academic qualification recognised by UK NARIC equivalent to a UK bachelor’s or master’s degree or Ph.D.
A prospective sole rep must provide:
- A current passport or other travel identification.
- Evidence to support his or her financial ability along with dependents during the stay in the UK.
- Accommodation details during the stay in the UK
- Evidence to support English requirements.
- Tuberculosis Test
- Certified documents signed and dated by a professional person. One can provide certified documents in the form of passports, photocard driving licenses, letters from a government department, credit card statements, electricity or council tax bills, and letters from a hospital.
- A detailed description of the business’s activities which include details of accounts and assets.
- A letter that confirms the overseas business intending to establish a wholly-owned subsidiary or register a branch in the UK in the same business activity overseas.
- Job description, salary details, and employment contract.
- A letter that confirms his or her familiarity with the business along with the authority to take operational decisions.
- Evidence that validates his direct employment to the business.
Apply for Representative of an Overseas Business Visa
A representative of an Overseas Business Visa must apply online or visa application center.
- The sole rep must intend to work for the same employer in the same job as the entry clearance was granted earlier.
- The company’s headquarters and principal place of business must continue to remain outside the UK.
- The sole rep must continue to be actively involved in the business.
- The employer must certify that the sole rep is still needed for the job.
- The sole rep continues to meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements as the immigration rules.
Sole Rep Visa defines a “dependent” as a husband, wife, partner, or child under the age of 18 from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. They can accompany the prospective sole rep by applying online or visiting the visa application center as a part of the application.
Role of a solicitor
A Y & J Solicitors has a team of experienced and competent immigration lawyers that helps prospective sole reps to navigate through the comprehensive process of Sole Representative Visa. we, at A Y & J Solicitors, feature experienced lawyers who are always attentive to the ever-changing immigration rules and policies.